5-Spice Salmon & Cauli Egg Fried 'Rice'
A seriously simple and rewarding mid-week dinner, which is quick to make and healthy too!
- 2 fillets salmon
- 1tsp 5-spice powder
- 1/2 lime
- 1 medium size cauliflower head, cut into chunks including the stem
- 3 organic eggs
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1tsp shrimp paste OR 1tbsp frozen baby shrimp
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- 1tbsp tamari or soy
- 2tsp rapeseed oil
- salt and pepper
- For the salmon, preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Mix 1tsp of oil with the 5-spice powder and seasoning to make a paste, and spread all over the salmon fillets. Leaving to one side for the marination to work
- Two ways to get cauli rice: grate the florets OR throw into a food processor and use the pulse setting until it resembles rice. I also like to use the tender outer leaves to add some easy greens into the dinner
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan or wok, adding in the shrimp paste or shrimps and chilli - it will smell very fishy but this does calm down!
- Put the salmon in the oven at this point - it will only need 12mins in the oven from room temperature
- Crack the eggs into the wok and mix/scramble into the shrimps and chilli
- When it’s all cooked through and thoroughly mixed, put all of the cauli rice into the wok and keep it moving, mixing the egg and shrimp mix into the rice
- The ‘rice’ takes about 8 mins or so to cook through, and you’ll be able to tell because of the slight colour change into a golden colour
- When the salmon is done - you want just done so it’s still very soft in the middle - take it out of the oven and squeeze a bit of lime over each fillet
- All is now ready to serve!