Sweet Potato Latkes
I won’t lie, I created these because of an image I saw on Food52’s Instagram which made me crave the crunchy indulgence but I only had sweet potato at home. I’m not a fan of deep frying at home, mainly because of the faff so these are baked but still have all of the crunch and tenderness you’d quite rightly expect from latkes.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1tsp fine sea salt
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- Good pinch ground black pepper
- Rapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly to create a fairly solid, sticky mixture. If it’s too wet, add a teaspoon of flour at a time and mix until it comes together
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and brush with oil
- Use two tablespoon dollops per latke, shaping them into small rounds about the size of a digestive and flattened to the thickness of two
- When the tray is filled, lightly brush each latke with more oil and pop in the oven for 15mins
- With a spatula, carefully turn the latkes and bake again for another 5-8mins until crisp
- Serve with whatever you want!